Monday, November 14, 2011

Life is a Banquet....

This poster was just outside my cabin
it reads....
"Life is a banquet and most fools are starving"
 I thought it was appropriate given the circumstance.
I had intentions of feasting on all of these
wonderful books on my sabbatical....


But mostly I watched my fire crackle and fade,

And crackle and fade....
and crackle and fade...
 And when the sun came out to greet me,
as it always will....
I walked...

 and walked...
 And felt the sheer joy of the hand of God.
and his creations.
We stopped by dad's on the way home.
He had watched my children for three
days, made a year supply of homemade bread
in my freezer and his scrumptious soup....
These are grapes that are still hanging
on cold weak vines.
Hanging with such grace and beauty,
They inspire me to hang like that when the weather
gives way.
 Then we came to Grandma and Grandpa Smith's home.
She had prepared a lovely dinner.
Food is a funny thing, we tend to love
through food.  It is strange and simply ironic
to me, that even though my body will only 
process 2-3 bites at a time, I am nourished
more than ever before.
Grandpa Glenn made Savannah a bow and a quiver.
I love that man.  He is like Daniel Boone...John wayne
and Elvis in one simple kind package. 
 He Has raised a good son.  A great son.
And Kathy.  Oh my sweet Kathy,
how I love you.
How I love the way you love me and my children.
Yes. Life is a banquet. 
Don't let it spoil.

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there. (((HUGS))) You are the most strong, loveable, sweet person I know. You will come out of this stronger than ever before and you will be a hero to me and many others. Take care my dear friend and know that I and many others are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your back to your writing self anyway !
    Hope your getting food down and getting stronger every day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Aunty Holly, I definitely need to remember this in my own life and not take things for granted. I love this post, just like Aunty Kelly said, because of your beautiful writing! It is a funny thing how we love through food, and how some of our greatest memories revolve around food and loved ones. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to see you are more upbeat today! I am glad you can eat now! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and dreams! May you see the light at the end of the tunnel! :}

    ReplyDelete